Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Wrest

The Wrest is a band that originally played in the mid '60s and early '70s. We won the Wisconsin Jaycees Battle of the Bands in 1967 and took fourth place in the Jaycee's National Battle of the Bands in Atlantic City, New Jersey.Our record, You Bet Your Sweet Bippy, was released in 1969.

In those days, we were quite active in Wisconsin from Green Bay to Beloit, La Crosse and in-between. Some of our memorable joint performances were:
  • Opened for Sly & The Family Stone at Summerfest in 1969. Over 100,000 people.
  • The Guess Who
  • The Boxtops
  • The American Breed
  • Brian Highland
  • Andy Kim
  • The Unchained Minds
We began playing "Reunion Concerts" about 20 years ago - before it was hip to do reunion concerts. We have continued to perform concerts periodically over the years. Most recently, we performed for the second consecutive year at Summerfest on Friday, July 4 at the M&I Classic Rock Stage. If you were there, we welcome your feedback.

We were asked after our Summerfest appearance if we have a website and we don't. This is our attempt to put forth a blog. We have done a number of performances over the years and have been asked quite often where we can be seen again.

We decided, years ago, that we would limit the number of performances we have because we all have families and careers. But we still have a passion for our music we are able to create together. Therefore, we set guidelines that must be met in order for us to consider performing. We do not keep the money for our performances - we play for Charity. (We make an exception for Summerfest but, hey, it's THE BIG GIG!)

Here are the performance guidelines for The Wrest:

  • Must be a Charity
  • Must be a "Big Event"
  • Our Expenses must be paid
Watch this blog for any information on future performances. Please give us your feedback. Thanks for your interest.

The Wrest

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Fabulous! Such great music I enjoyed it immensly! I was so happy I finally got to hear The Wrest after 40 years. I knew Tim back at S.M. High and the last time I saw him he was signing my yearbook. My daughter, Andrea, was with me and she really loved it! She has sung with the "All Star Super Band" at Libiamos Restaurant. The brass section was amazing and I wondered whether any of them had played with the All Star Band. Also what are the names of the main group members? I know they were announced but I wanted to remember the guitarist (fabulous). Really loved Ed on the solos and most of all, of course, Tim. I am a vocalist and musician myself but rarely perform these days. I am, however, busy working at the Milwaukee Repertory Theater. I hope to hear about future performances so I can hear you guys again. What kind of careers do you all have? I attended my first high school reunion last summer and it was very interesting, to say the least. Playing for reunions and for charities sounds great. Is the record you made back in '69 still available? I would love to purchase the music even if it is only a copy. Thanks for posting the blog. Can't say enough about how much I enjoyed it and I will pass it on to all my friends and coworkers. Maria
(email - maria3649@hotmail.com)

Anonymous said...

I was at the battle of the bands. I remember that your main song started with a military style drum beat.

Your band blew away the competition and was far more polished than the others.

I had a good time even though my ears were ringing the next day.


ralph mizia
milwaukee

Unknown said...

Ralph,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm honored that you remember. I believe the song you're referring to was Requiem for the Masses by the Association.

Tom Witter

Summerfest 2008, Milwaukee, WI, USA

Summerfest 2008, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Rick Forkes

Summerfest 2008, Milwaukee, WI, USA

Summerfest 2008, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Eric Jacobson, Brett Murphey, Dave Smith, Mike Miller, Jack Welter